190 grams almond meal
115 grams soft brown sugar
115 grams raw or demerara sugar (I used CSR Logicain sugar - low GI)
1/2 tsp salt
70 grams butter, unsalted and softened
2 small eggs (or one large egg)
130 grams Greek yogurt, plus extra to serve
1/2 heaped tsp cinnamon, ground
1/2 tsp cardamom, ground
1/2 tsp nutmeg, ground
3-4 tablespoons pistachios, shelled and unsalted
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Grease and line an 18 cm spring-form tin with baking paper.
- Combine almond meal, brown sugar, demarara sugar and salt in a bowl.
- Chop the butter into cubes and add to the almond and sugar mixture. Rub into the mixture with your fingertips until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Spoon half the mixture into the prepared tin. Press down to evenly cover the base.
- To the remaining mixture, add the eggs, yoghurt and spices. Beat with a stirring spoon until smooth.
- Pour this mixture over the base in the tin.
- Sprinkle the pistachios over the top of the cake.
- Bake until golden brown and just set, about 40 minutes.
- Cool completely before gently removing the tin. Transfer carefully to a serving plate.
- Serve with extra Greek yoghurt and fresh berries.